Sunday, November 1, 2009

Unread authors: crime or vindication?

Over the weekend (hideous phrase! Over two days one week ends and another begins, what gives termination precedence over commencement?). But already I digress. Over the last two days I have received the usual several 'e-mails' pleading for my assistance in solving seemingly intractable problems in the literary and linguistic fields. Normally I tend to ignore these pathetic petitions as below my station but one notification in particular caught my attention as worthy of some contemplation. I will share it with you now.

It seems that there is an academic going by the dubious name of Joe Moron working at a place called Liverpool John Moores University in England (a jaw cruncher of which I had hitherto been blissfully unaware). He has established a 'charity' entitled the Society of Unread Authors (SUA) with the aim of getting woefully unread personages to start to read those publications that have never been read. He wishes to "support all those writers who are left impoverished and traumatised by failing to acquire a readership." This leaves me intrigued and puzzled in roughly equal measure.

While I have a visceral aversion to 'statistics' with their frightful numerical symmetries, he uses such devices to tell an alarming tale. He claims that 200,000 titles are published annually in the UK (he only seems interested in this one country) and 800 appeared on a single day in October as a prelude to Christmas 'sales', most of which were written by someone called Dan Brown or even the disturbing-sounding Ant and Dec. The sheer weight of this publishing pushes other, allegedly worthy authors aside; it seems that they cannot in any way compete with celebrity-obsessed trivia and glutinous 'pot-boilers'. Thousands upon thousands of books are simply not being read at all.

He posits a dual strategy:
  1. Recruit enforcers to coerce people into reading the books they buy and ignore, paying them to do so if necessary;
  2. Delay publication of many unsuitable books with key words in their title - he cites Angels, Little Book Of, Loose Women, Jeremy Kyle (whoever that is) etc. This should allow people time to read the books they should be reading but, for whatever reason, are not.

I am perplexed by his passion. I myself am no stranger to being an unread author. Indeed I am proud to note that there are few with the stamina or intellect to plough through the dense prolixity of the muscular prose in my published work, not to mention my customarily opaque yet compendious footnoted asides. I am satisfied that my oeuvre is read in the 'right circles', by eminent people with the wit and perspicacity to learn from my cogent analysis. So why should it matter that all these thousands of books be read, even by people completely inadequate to the task?

He feels that this will "enrich our cultural life". I am by no means so sure. Imagine if we unleashed all 'sorts' of menial personages and paid them to read. Who then would empty our garbage, serve our meals or repair our machines? I shudder in trepidation.

We also need to address the question of why these books deserve to be read. I vividly recall the gruesome experience of being trapped in an elevator with a brutish economist who mercilessly harangued me on something he termed 'supply and demand'. Now, using this frightfully simplistic taxonomy, can we not go so far as to suggest that there are simply too many books for people to read? Indeed, there may not actually be that many personages capable of reading them, unless they contain gaudy pictures or came accompanied with coloring sets. If we are producing hundreds of thousands of books a minute when there are so few learned persons actually fitted to read them, then disaster looms.

No, it is better to simply stand back and let the market do its work. We cannot compel or bribe unsuitable persons to read when they are better suited to more menial operations. Likewise, any 'commercially minded' publisher will surely balk at churning out millions of texts when he discovers to his chagrin that nobody is actually buying them. Government intervention, forcing all 'types' of people to read to set targets and quotas, simply will not work and should be resisted on principle. It is but a short step to a bureaucratic strangulation of freedoms and the Ministry of Compulsory Lexicography. Is it not better that uneducated persons are reading trash than nothing at all? So, let them do as they will, even reading this so-called Ant and his doubtlessly worthy colleague Dec. Things will out in the end.

18 comments:

  1. I wonder if our host has missed the point? What Moran (not Moron) seems to have in mind is the unutterable anguish of authors who have researched, constructed, redrafted, edited and finally completed their books then gone through the torture of finding a publisher (with their brusque rejections), only to find that the joy of publication is crushed by pitiful sales from an ungrateful public.

    As a case in point, it took me 12 laborious years to publish my greatest work "Late Cyrenian Epistolarians" (1989). It was like giving birth, joy unconfined. To date, this text has sold 17 copies and was rapidly out of print. The scars are still raw to this day.

    If Moran aims to coerce, cajole, bribe or incentivise people to read my magnum opus then I am all in favor. I urge an acceptance of his laudable aims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. This is so worrisome but I too must stand shoulder to shoulder with Moran and 20:20. There simply must be more active ways of getting our books read and Moran at least erects signposts of some utility. My own beloved masterpiece "The Question Mark Reassessed: Crosscultural Punctuation and Etymological Aetiology In Troubling Times " (1995) sold only 61 copies, of which 34 were library copies. Something must be done to extend the benefits of our work to the toiling masses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fret not dear acolytes, I have read both your books. Review copies of course, I have never actually had to buy books for the last 20 years, nor actually write reviews. So tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This misses the point. Surely the grubbily commercial act of actually purchasing the book egregiously bestows upon the suffering author a veneer of love and respectability. A pat on the back, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I detect the faintest whiff of dissent and schismatism? I feel in no small way that my ruling is perfectly clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do begin to suspect that the reflexive charge of schismatism may be just a ruse to stifle debate. We should not be timid in raising legitimate viewpoints, courageously and substantively.

    I am bidden to recall the day (in my youth) when I was questioned the eminent Professor Schenk Torblatt. You could hear a pin drop, and, once his apoplexy subsided, he was forced to concede that I did indeed have some miniscule validity despite my tender years. Such a gracious man. I forget what it was all about, some arcane quibble no doubt, but it was all very exciting. Ah but, now where was I?

    Ah yes, I think we should encourage some debate on these weighty matters before achieving some measure of consensus. Yes, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here stands, naked, exposed for all to see, the brutal paternalist authoritarianism that so blights our discourse. It is corrupt, rotten to the core; if you do not defer to its whims then you will discarded and ignored. Its patriarchs arose through following the same rules and they will not abandon them now that they have the high chairs.

    It falls to us to strike away from this sterile shore and sail forth unto undiscovered lands and opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well of course we all welcome debate, but it must be respectful and deferential to our betters. Young scholars today seem quite unable to grasp this fundamental point, it makes me rather vexed and anxious in equal measures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has no-one even considered the possibility that the reason books remain unread is that they are tedious unreadable crap? I cite the two titles mentioned above as some evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Archer completely misses the point. We cannot simply claim that texts remain unread due to tedium, impenetrability or escatological factremes. The whole of the academic endeavor is solidly based upon this tripod of procedure and praxis and has never pandered to the base and vulgar tastes of the herd. Books may be unread due to the sheer quantity of dire piffle published, but quality will out in the end, not least with the quality reader.

    May I conclude by stating how much I have enjoyed reading this blog and how thrilled I am to be able to contribute?

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Arcturus F. Tartt: I am content to accept your accolades and usher you into this hallowed grove of erudition at a junior level until such a time as your credentials prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lacking a critical Greenist focus, you are of course oblivious to the crucial issues underpinning this discourse. The publishing of vast amounts of unread books is a primary contributor to deforestation and the concomitant meteoric rise in carbon dioxide and global warming. I urge an immediate slamming of brakes on this megadestructive arboricide and the selection of a strict quota of books to be published on recycled paper. The tree killing must stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do worry somewhat that some contributors fail to grasp the essential kernel of these debates. Try as I might, I simply cannot grasp why they should err from orthodoxy into such tangential fripperies. Really quite vexatious and querulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why not give all the unread & unsold books to public libraries for free? Then anyone can read them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tremble with desperation and grief after reading the heresy of Tench. It simply is not acceptable that unsold or unread books should be given away as handouts to waiting unwashed freeloaders who only have to pass time before acquiring knowledge and the emotional labor of authors for free. If this gains ground then no-one will ever buy a book again, as all they have to do is order whatever title they wish and the taxpayer will provide. Heinous and specious activities such as this must be stamped out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually think that Tench makes a sound point. Libraries are not just havens for the impecunious reader but also archives for future researchers who otherwise would not have access to the texts of today. So, by all means, lodge unread books in libraries to preserve wisdom that would otherwise be lost beyond recall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not one to 'jump on the bandwagon' but I do in no small measure feel some sense of agreement if not affinity with O'Leary and Tench. Let the books go where they will be read or, if not read, preserved and catalogued until such a time as their moment arrives. I refer tangentially to this point in my original 'post' so it may well be the case that I have inspired this elegant solution to an otherwise intractable problem. Such is my longstanding habit, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well thats settled that then

    ReplyDelete