Monday, October 12, 2009

Sobriety and its discontents

Is it just me, or have other right-thinking people noticed a substantial increase in people who can only be described as excessively inebriated? I seem to encounter them daily, often in broad daylight, lurching and drooling in public places without any obvious sense of shame.

I have even upon occasion been approached by such 'types' and attempts at communication have been essayed. However it is totally impossible to enter into any meaningful or illuminating debate when one protagonist can only grunt and screech in a manner more befitting to the farmyard. It really is rather unsettling to be confronted by these disturbed individuals and their eccentric gestures and guttural 'noises'.

It seems to me that official agencies are in a very real sense failing decent law abiding people by leaving these crazed persons to ramble with impunity wheresoever they will. Moreover, I am sure that I am not the only observer who has been aesthetically perturbed by the range of nasty accoutrements such 'types' invariably carry. It is by no means rare to witness them clutching ugly (non-vintage I'm sure) bottles poorly concealed in vulgar paper or even plastic bags (the horror!).

It is probably prudent not to dwell at any length on their dress code, but suffice it to say that bespoke tailors rarely choose to promote their wares on personages such as this. And personal hygiene seems not to figure in any way, shape or form. Inexcusably dreadful!

I have heard that such behavior may also be a close correlate of 'drug' use, but I am convinced that no such phenomena could exist in my own respectable neighborhood.

Nobody seems willing to take a stand on this pressing issue. Indeed I have on more than one occasion seen passersby cross the road or even turn and flee when encountering these shambling derelicts. So once more I feel myself forced to take a lead and plant the banner of propriety in pointing to a correct response. I feel that all people of decorum and fastidious taste should simply ignore on every occasion all such distressing encounters. The perpetrators are clearly doing it for attention-seeking purposes and, if we starve them of the oxygen of consideration, then they will have no choice but to return to a normal and acceptable lifestyle. This may strike some as tough or even harsh, but I do in no small measure believe that this is the only viable way to reclaim our streets.

15 comments:

  1. Yaaah ya feckin' bushtud that ye are gurrrh yer want some eh? Cm'over 'ere and say that ye great big fecker eh? Eh? Gurrh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe what Ming's saying is that the prose is a little dry, and that this may well be a side-effect of the overweening solipsism that provides the moral glue on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So then. Rather than walk away from pisspots you're going to ignore them? Yeah right, that'll do it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself not inconsiderably discommoded by these 'intrusions' on my dignified site. Upon mature reflection I find myself forced to adopt the view that this is the price one has to pay for internet 'popularity'. While some may be flattered by attracting Followers I strongly feel that it is the quality of such acolytes that counts, rather than the quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dead right, Heggers. The numbers are pitiful but we can offer plenty of quality. Glad you appreciate Me & Ming, we're your only followers so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear not, brave heart. Plunge ahead on your quest and be not disheartened by the scoffs and sneers of lesserlings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doo bee doo bee doo
    Dah dee dah dah dah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strangers In The Night!!!
    Point please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dean Martin, Li'l ol' Bile Drinker Hegenious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Men of Harlech - Llantisangel Men's Choir

    ReplyDelete
  11. I 'tune in' to the pages as time allows and, as is my wont, peruse and scrutinise the ongoing debate. I find myself not inconsiderably vexed at the rude intrusion herein, most particularly the torrent of neo-infantilist babble and inconsequential 'chit chat'. I must have order on these pages so that educated persons of gravitas may joust in the lists of debate. I therefore insist that all rabblesome trouble-makers cease and desist forthwith and decamp elsewhere to those places more appropriate for their modest IQ and analytic skills

    ReplyDelete
  12. "...modest IQ and analytic skills"
    Arrogant!
    "...neo-infantilist..."
    Pretentious!
    "...educated persons of gravitas..."
    Priceless!
    This guy's good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rarely has the schism between informed and weighty opinion on the one hand and the braying of the uninformed herd on the other been so ruthlessly exposed. Carry on hegenious, heed not the immature noises of the brutish pack who would only drag all down to their own debased level.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snobbery: an aspirational solecism? Discuss.
    And as for "informed and weighty opinion": I don't think so. I've seen none here, just blabber 'n' smoke.
    I suppose 20:20 vision's no use if your head's right up your ass anyway.

    ReplyDelete